Hostess with the Mostess

I'm just that little bit obsessed when it comes to throwing the perfect party. 

Back when I was a new graduate working between three different nursing homes, I got lumped into organising one of the resident's 100th birthday party. (I have that kind of job that can be hard to define, so when something comes up that doesn't fit into anybody else's role, it inevitably gets handballed to me.) Simple plans of homemade cake and a handful of balloons turned into full blown catering, newspaper journalists, photographers, the Lord Mayor, and the congratulatory letter from Her Royal Highness the Queen. Then came the cake with what seemed like a thousand candles ablazed, Mrs X's grandchildren surreptitiously assisting her to extinguish the flames; the cake is cut and everybody bellows many hearty hip, hip hoorays. 

Amongst the throng of party goes congregating around the lady of the moment stands Mrs X's son. He breaks away from the crowd and comes looking for me. He finds me off to the side in a corner, helping myself to some left over cake. He catches me with my fingers stuck in the cake icing. (The chocolate ganache frosting is absolutely delicious.)

"I want to thank you," he says. "For organising my mother's birthday party."

His expression shifts from happiness to puzzlement when he asks, "So who are you again....?"

I swallow a mouthful of cake and say, "I'm blah, you know, the blah blah blah who works here...?"

"But which PR company do you work for?" he asks. 

"Oh, no, no...." I say somewht abashedly. "I'm not from any PR firm. I am employed by the nursing home. You know, I'm the one who scripts all the wheelchairs...?"

There is a brief pause before he asks, "So, do you own your PR firm? Can I have your business card?"

I give up and go and fish out one of my business cards, the one that clearly states that I am employed by the nursing home. What's the use in explaining, he's already put me in the Party-Planner-Box, and to this day, I think he still believes I'm running around in little P town organising other grand old parties.

So what makes a good party?
The tried and true equation usually comprises of: 
Good Mix of People + Good Food + A Decent Bar Tab + Good Music + Decent Venue. Get these factors right, and you'll be sure that everyone has a good time. But going from good to the Party of the Century - you know, the one that everybody still talks about months after it's ended, is a slightly different story. For those wanting a bit of that "It" or "Wow" factor, here's my two cents worth on how to achieve this:

1) Do something out of the ordinary. Another birthday at just another bar is just a tad boring, and a sure way for your party to likely be labelled as unmemorable. (Note that not all people think the same way - I've had people not come to my party because they thought my party was too "weird" and "out there". "Why can't we don't drinking at some bar?" is what they said. Eh, we were, but that was all later, and sucks to them as they were the ones who lost out. Besides, I don't think any of my party ideas have ever been that strange... Take some risks and choose something different. I'm the type of person who appreciates all things that border on whimsy, which is why this year's party was at a Croquet Club.



2) Send out proper paper invites and thank you cards. While Facebook has eroded all social etiquette, that doesn't mean you have to folow suit. Although the one thing I've noticed with the internet era is that people have become more distracted in that ADHD way - everybody seems less able to absorb information, which means they're likely to fail to read your invite properly and will ring you or message you one hundred billion times when they ended up at the wrong place / going on the wrong day / wrong time.


3) Choose an activity that's appropriate for the weather. Having a barbeque in the park in the heart of winter is maybe not such a good idea. It's somewhat sad for those who are born in winter, as options can be more limited; lucky for others like me, since moving back to the southern hemisphere.



4) Cover costs where possible. It's your birthday, so shout your friends if you can afford it. Common sense in the east, and not as common practise in the West. 

5) Inject the "wow" factor into the party equation. Having a barbeque? Skip the mass produced sags for something a bit more gourmet. This year I served a pretty mean lamb kofta:
http://chefmasterclasses.com/2011/02/turkish-lamb-kofta-recipe/ 

Making cocktails? Again, try something a little bit different. My drink of the day had elderflower liquer, and was a definite crowd pleaser:

2 Parts Brut Champagne
1 Part St Germain
2 Parts Soda Water

I'm contemplating making this into a slushie next year. Mmmmm.... 

Also on my menu this year were homemade popsicles - salted caramel and chocolate, and as well as roasted strawberry and coconut. 
I have to say that the salted caramel ones were the best


6) Pick a theme and stick with it. I went all things bordering on whimsy and vintage - pink, purple and pastel blue balloons, barber striped paper straws, drinks served out of jam jars.



7) The little details count - people are very visual, so pay close attention to aesthetics. I loved my vintage jar treats:



8) Hand out party favours. Party bags are always fun.

9)Lasty, a good party can never be good without wonderful people. Thank you for all who attended this year xx

1 comments :